Tokyo-based video game publisher and developer Cygames, Inc. announced the release of Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising, the latest title in the Granblue Fantasy Versus series. The game is developed by Arc System Works and will be globally released in late 2023 for PC via Steam. The first game is available on GeForce NOW.
The game will feature many new elements including all-new characters, mechanics, and modes. Additionally, it will utilize rollback netcode technology for a smoother and more responsive online play experience, and support crossplay between PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Steam, allowing players to engage in battle and interact cross-platform with more players for a more united player community and dynamic gameplay.
To commemorate the game’s reveal, two new trailers have been released for fans to catch an early glimpse of all-new gameplay footage: 1. The reveal trailer introduces the new elements that have been enhanced from the previous title with the latest gameplay footage, and 2. The Grand Bruise! trailer introduces Grand Bruise! Legends, an online battle royale mode.
The game will feature a variety of new ways to enjoy the Granblue Fantasy Versus series. It will add a host of numerous new and rebalanced gameplay mechanics to battles, allowing players to engage with a simple, yet profound tactical gameplay experience.
Early game details include:
- Large Character Roster: Players will see many characters – new and old ones – join the fray. In addition to the 24 characters from the current GBVS cast, multiple new characters will join Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising at launch. The first new character will be announced during the finals of GBVS Cygames Cup Special 2023 to be held on the 25th of February.
- New Gameplay Mechanic: Ultimate Skills: Players will be able to perform Ultimate Skills, an even more powerful version of Plus Skills from GBVS, briefly slowing down the opponent’s movement—enabling new ways to extend combos and punish openings or whiffed attacks that would normally not be possible otherwise.
- New Story Mode: An abridged version of all 50 chapters featured in RPG Mode from the first GBVS will be made available in an all-new Story Mode. By eliminating item collection, growth elements, and some quest battles, the story can be enjoyed more easily in preparation for a new original saga featuring new characters set to unfold in Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising.
- Graphic Enhancements: In-game shaders and post-processing effects have been enhanced to further replicate the iconic art style of Granblue Fantasy while not compromising visibility when playing.
- Online Lobby Expansion: a feature enjoyed in the previous game has now been greatly enhanced while still allowing players to control their lobby avatars, communicate with other players, and request matches.